Born and raised in Manchester, Macca naturally supports Bath! He supports England in the 6 Nations but having a surname that originates in Scotland and being two parts Irish, 1 part Welsh and 1 part English he gets very excited about the British and Irish Lions where he can let his inner Celt out guilt free.
During his salad days Macca was a decent openside flanker but as he got older, slower and fatter he ended up moving ever forwards in the pack until he could go no further and ended up at Hooker where he now plays as player / manager of the 3rd team and Vets social side.
Macca is the IT geek of the team with a strong background in e-commerce and digital marketing.
Born and raised playing God’s other rugby code in the fine City of Widnes. Shotts, as he responds to more than any other name (including the one he was Christened with) was a stand-off in League, graduating to openside flanker at 15-a-side. English to the core but married to a Welsh girl with three Welsh children, rugby has become therapy from myopia. Shotts has been at Wilmslow RUFC for 20 years and counting, but it’s just one of the eleven clubs he’s called home. Rugby to Shotts is like Gin to Tonic…bitter without.
With a Scottish father and Welsh lineage on his mothers side of the family, Dave naturally did the sensible thing and pinned his allegiances firmly to the Red Rose of England. Having grown up on the Wirral and moved to Manchester at 18, it was inevitable he would end up supporting the only local team around, Sale Sharks who he has followed across Europe at various points.
Although he will always maintain that he is a flanker, his biggest mistake was admitting he once played a game in the front row at school resulting in him becoming the ultimate utility forward. Last season alone he played every position in the forwards in addition to a half in the centres. An aversion to any training or regular fitness work means he is more than content running out with his mates in Wilmslow 3's most Saturdays.
Dave is the content and creative specialist in the team having previously run one of the most succesful rugby blogs in the world.
Rob was born and raised in Cheshire. Ever since birth, he was handed a rugby ball by his Dad (Shotts), so rugby was never a choice.
Being half Welsh, his International rugby team is Wales and he gets a lot of stick for this being born and living in England his whole life but his Grandad picked him up on the day he was born and said that if he was to ever play rugby, he would play for Wales.
At School, Rob was very fortunate to play in a team around great players (and mates) at Wilmslow High School. In 2010 and won the Daily Mail Cup Final at Twickenham and in 2013, he reached the Quarter finals. When he was 14/15 years old, he would go to all of the Friday night matches at Sale Sharks with his mates so the club team he follows the most is Sale however, I he's just a fan of good rugby. Rob is a full back, but has played in every position across the backline and even played half an hour at 8! And is our Social Media Expert / Blogger
- Favourite ever player? Jason Leonard, never went backwards in the scrum and off-field antics were as legendary as his on field prowess.
- Best player you ever saw live? Will Greenwood, loved Will's timing and lines, wonderful reader of the game and tough as well.
- Best player of all time? Jonah Lomu, not perhaps the most skillful player but for sheer shock and awe, there's been nobody better. Plan A, get it to Jonah, plan B, get it to Jonah...
- Favourite ever Lions player? Scott Gibbs, those tackles on the 97 tour to SA (rugby porn)
- Best player you ever played with? Hugh Williams; PE Teacher at Wilmslow High School, If you've seen the Pele game plan in Escape to Victory? "I go like dis, dis dis and goal." That's how Hugh played rugby.
- Best player you ever played against? Kevin O'Brian No10 at Broughton Park, couldn't get near him and whenever he got the ball he kicked you onto your own 5 yard line, infuriating for a rabid flanker like me!
- Favourite moment in Rugby? Jonny’s winning kick in 2003 World Cup Final, proper lose it moment...nuff said!
- Favourite ever try? Gareth Edwards Barbarians v All Blacks 1973, the high tackles, the offloading at speed, the support play, and the perfectly timed line to finish it off...the perfect team try!
- Player you’d most like to have played alongside? Sergio Parisse; a Rolls Royce no8 in a team of Fiat's. Had everything!
- Player you’d most hate to play against? Jonah Lomu, just look what he did to poor old Mike Catt, it must have been terrifying defending the whitewash and seeing him coming towards you at full speed.
- Favourite ever player? A really tough question, but it has to be the one and only Michael Jones. You see I come from an era where rugby was pure, and Michael Jones played pure unadulterated rugby as it was meant to be...
- Best player you ever saw live? It has to be the same...Michael Jones, as he single-handedly beat England in the 1991 World cup opening game (I cried in the Orange Tree, and took beer with Brian Moore in the Sun Inn).
- Best player of all time? Jonathan Davies (the original and best version) Jiffy was so fast, had such good hands, the heart of a Lion and was a born winner. He’d start at 10 in any World XV to play Mars (away).
- Favourite ever Lions player? Martin Johnson – hard man, great skipper…winner.
- Best player you ever played with? Shaun Edwards – Shaun had it all; he could do things others (like me) only dreamed of. He had a steely determination to win and often did winning the Lance Todd trophy aged 17.
- Best player you ever played against? Bernard Dwyer (late of Bradford Bulls) Pace, bulk, great hands and rock star hair. I played in the same back row as Bernard for Merseyside Schools. He was a one man wrecking ball. He commanded respect from everyone. I played against him for our school and knew about it. He was, as they say up north…’nails’.
- Favourite moment in Rugby? Arriving early for a game (any game) and being with my mates, chewing the fat taking the p1ss and enjoying each other’s company staving off the inevitable later-life shopping trips. Saturday afternoons were made for rugby not shopping
- Favourite ever try? My mate, Dave Mannion scored against Leigh Colts away in 1985; if the cameras had seen it they’d never have believed it…every outrageous pass went to hand, and it was even a planned move! It’s this one, or the ‘try from the end of the world’...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwTi-UeQ7s which was the most outrageous move ever...
- Player you’d most like to have played alongside? Serge Blanco - what a player. If anyone played what he saw in front of him Blanco did. (now he seems to have eaten whatever is in front of him). He was French rugby at its very best...unpredictable and stylish.
- Player you’d most hate to play against? Myself…I’ve learned how to cheat from the best and perfected the art of being offside like Harry Potter’s cloak of invisibility. I’ve even learned how to talk to refs, sometime politely. I believe that I would frustrate me even more than I might others…
- Favourite player? As a back rower it's hard to look past Sergio Parisse. He has is absolute class in his play and has been a shining light and leader for Italy since I can remember.
- Best player you ever saw live? Dan Carter during the last World Cup. Possibly the best ever?
- Best player of all time? Jonah Lomu as he quite literally redefined the game as we knew it.
- Favourite Lions player? It's hard to look past Sam Warburton. A great guy both on and off the pitch who is criminally underrated.
- Best player you ever played with? Tom Brady, never seen someone run around opponents with such ease.
- Best player you ever played against? Ben Kay (in a f*cking sevens game). That was brutal, although fortunately he had his eye on someone other than me for most of the game.
- Favourite moment in Rugby? Sitting in the railway end at Edgeley Park with two of my best friends cheering on Sale Sharks pint(s) in hand.
- Favourite ever try? Japan's glorious final try to claim victory over the Springboks during the 2015 Rugby World Cup. I genuinely cannot remember a time when I was so delighted, even for a team I actually support.
- Player you’d most like to have played alongside? Richie McCaw - can you imagine the things he could have taught me?
- Player you’d most hate to play against? Mamuka Gorgodze. The man is an absolute beast and it's hard to imagine him fearing anything.
- Favourite Player? Dan Carter
- Best Player you ever saw live? George Gregan
- Best Player of all time? Ritchie Mccaw
- Favourite Lions Player? George North in 2013
- Best player you ever played with? Tom Hudson or Sam James (I can’t decide)
- Best player you ever played against? Tom Hudson…even when he was half injured
- Favourite moment in Rugby? Watching Wales dump England out of their home World Cup whilst at my local rugby club (in England) and being the only one on my feet at the final whistle.
- Favourite ever try? My try at Burnage against Durham in the Round of 16 in the Daily Mail Cup 2013 – I was kicked the ball whilst standing on the wing, their back line had pushed up very well and I had nowhere to go and none of my team mates were around me…I saw a bit of space between the back line and the covering full back so I stuck a small grubber in. I ran onto the grubber and beat the full back to the ball with another kick towards the line. The ball landed 5 metres from the try line so I dived on the ball before their covering player and rolled over the score in the very corner. Still to this day no one thinks I grounded the ball, but I know full well that I did!
- Player you’d most like to have played alongside? Mike Phillips back in his prime, I loved watching him play and think I’d be on the same wavelength.
- Player you’d most hate to play against? Michael Hooper…he is a nasty and horrible player.